Visiting & Involvement » Top things to see and do » The Runic Inscriptions

The Runic Inscriptions

The Runic Inscriptions

Two very rare Scandinavian runic inscriptions have been found in the Cathedral, both dating from the 12th century. Only 17 in total have been found in mainland England. One was found in 1855 just inside the main door, when paint and plaster were being removed from the walls. It is now behind glass and reads: ‘Dolfin wrote these runes on this stone.’ The second, found in 2008 in the south transept triforium (first floor) level, is the single name ‘Reginald’, incised on a stone moved from its original position in the early 13th century to block a disused doorway.