Visiting & Involvement » Top things to see and do » The Gondibour Screens

The Gondibour Screens

The Gondibour Screens

The Gondibour screens are the wooden screens in curvilinear style, on the two sides of the Cathedral Gift Shop. They take their name from Thomas Gondibour, who was Prior of St Mary’s Cathedral Priory in the period between 1465 and 1500, and probably from the latter half of that period. Gondibour’s initials are incorporated into the carving on the door. The two screens have been heavily restored, which probably occurred when they and similar screens were removed in the eighteenth century from their original positions between the pillars of the choir, where evidence of their location is still to be seen.