Visiting & Involvement » Top things to see and do » The Brougham Triptych

The Brougham Triptych

The Brougham Triptych

The Brougham Triptych was made in Antwerp in about 1520, and bears the trademark of the Antwerp Guild of Woodcarvers. It may have been in a church in Cologne before it was bought in the 1840’s by Baron Brougham and Vaux to decorate St Wilfred’s Chapel, Brougham, from which it derives its name. Technically it is not a triptych because it lacks the two doors making the wings, one either side. It is however a fine example of a style of altar piece made in Northern Europe from 1380 to 1550. It portrays Christ’s passion, and also includes infancy and resurrection themes.