The Bishop's Throne

The Bishop's Throne

The throne or seat – ‘cathedra’ – of the Bishop in any Cathedral is the feature that gives the building its name. The present throne on the south side of the choir adjacent to the stalls –the style of which it imitates, was designed by the architect G E Street, and was installed in 1880 in the same position of earlier ones. It is decorated with the coat of arms of Bishop Harvey Goodwin (1869 – 91).