The Fratry Project
What is the Fratry?
The Fratry building stands at the heart of the Cathedral precinct and was the dining hall of the mediaeval priory. We want to use it to bring to life the stories of faith, hope and love that the Cathedral exists to tell. Life in this city, on the border with Scotland, was never dull. There are great stories for everyone to enjoy.
The Fratry building will be made fit for this purpose.
We will achieve
- Full access to both floors
- Better facilities for all our visitors and users
- More toilets
- Teaching and learning activity will have its own dedicated space in the undercroft
- Catering will take place in a new setting
- Installations to help visitors interpret the Cathedral’s stories will be available in the main Fratry Hall.
The Fratry Project Appeal: Bringing untold stories to life
A tremendous amount of work over the last eighteen months was unveiled at a public consultation held on Monday June 20th 2016 in the Fratry building. A new building design was explained - together with plans for activity in the building and interpretation of the Cathedral and its precinct.
The Dean of Carlisle commented “We are delighted that initial conversations about the new building design and activity plans have been received very positively. We believe that we have proposals that will help bring the Fratry building back to life – to serve both the Cathedral and the city well.”
- Public consultation meetings will be held on June 20th 2016 at 2.30pm and 6.00pm in the Fratry. Come and see the plans that have been developed.
- Our application to the planning authorities is expected to take place over the summer months.
- Our Stage 2 application to the Heritage Lottery Fund is anticipated for November 2016 with an HLF decision following in March 2017.
- Fundraising for the Fratry Appeal will continue in the autumn of 2016 and into 2017. Look out for fundraising events advertised on this website.
- Oxford Archaeology North will be on site from Monday 11 July for up to 3 weeks. Trial trenches are being dug as part of the development work for the Fratry Project. All work areas will be fully fenced.
How can I help?
We know that many people in Carlisle, across Cumbria and beyond love the Cathedral. We hope you will see this as a “once in a generation” project and as an opportunity we must not miss.
Will you help us make our hopes into a reality?
To find out more, please use the contact details below to get in touch, or download a donation and gift aid form available from the PDF Downloads section on this page.
The Project Administrator
The Fratry Project, Carlisle Cathedral Office
7 The Abbey, Carlisle CA3 8TZ
01228 548107 or email email@example.com
Donate by Bankers Order
Donate by Cheque
Remember the Fratry Project in your Will