What is the Fratry?
In mediaeval times the Fratry building was the dining hall of the Cathedral Priory. Today it stands inaccessible to many and massively under-used at the heart of the Cathedral precinct.
The Fratry Project brings this world-class, Grade I-listed building back to life and makes it ready to serve the City, the County and its visitors.
The Fratry Project aims to realise the Cathedral’s vision to be a place of discovery, celebration and challenge.
The Fratry Project - the final stage
The Fratry project will be the most significant development at Carlisle Cathedral in living memory. It aims to realise the Cathedral’s vision to be a place of discovery, celebration and challenge.
This project will allow us to make the historic Fratry building open and accessible to the whole community; to develop our work of teaching and learning and to provide a wonderful space for schools and educational groups.
We will also be able to create a new Café and hospitality area and achieve better quality, connected facilities to welcome all the Cathedral’s visitors.
We have raised £3 million towards the cost of the Fratry Project. Can you help us raise the final £450,000?
You can read more about the plans and what we hope to achieve in our latest leaflet.
Latest News and Timeline
- Public consultation meetings were held in June 2016.
- Oxford Archaeology North were on site in July 2016. Trial trenches were dug as part of the development work for the Fratry Project.
- Our application to the planning authorities was approved in October 2016.
- Our Stage 2 application to the Heritage Lottery Fund was submitted in November 2016 with an HLF decision expected in March 2017.
- The Cathedrals Fabric Commission for England approved the application for work to the Fratry building in December 2016.
- Launch of the final phase of fundraising started in December 2016 with a JustGiving campaign and new leaflet with a letter from the Dean.
How Can I Help?
We know that many people in Carlisle, across Cumbria and beyond love the Cathedral. We hope you will see this as a “once in a generation” project and as an opportunity we must not miss.
Will you help us make our hopes into a reality?
The Project Administrator
The Fratry Project, Carlisle Cathedral Office
7 The Abbey, Carlisle CA3 8TZ
01228 548107 or email email@example.com
Donate by Bankers Order
Donate by Cheque
Remember the Fratry Project in your Will